My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I Wish I Could...

Do you ever find yourself wishing you could do something? As we grow up, adults always tell you you can be anything you want when you grow up. But there are some talents that are just out of reach for the average knuckle-head, like me. There is one thing in particular I have always wished I could do, ever since my younger days.

I've always had a little bit of flare with the pen...not brilliant, but good. I loved to write, and growing up I was always writing short stories and poems. My second home was the library. But one day when I was in the 5th grade, I was over at a friend's house and it opened my eyes to a world I'd never seen. While our house was dominated by books, her house was dominated by art.

Her mother was an artist, and she had the most wonderfully eclectic home. The accents were deep, rich, natural wood, and it was a jumbled maze of rooms that had been carved in and out of the original structure over the years. Cluttered with art supplies, easels, pictures, drawings, paintings...you couldn't move without bumping into something artsy.

I suddenly wanted to become an artist.

One problem. I can't draw. At all. Not even a little. Believe me, I tried and tried and tried. It was ridiculous.

I've see people sitting at the park, drawing, and I'd be jealous. I've see people at writing conferences, drawing, and I'd be jealous. I've see some amazing book covers and yes, I'm jealous. My husband is very artistic, though not professionally...yup, jealous.

When my son was about 2 years old, he asked me to draw pictures. A dog. A cat. A horse. A pig. So he'd demand, and I'd draw. When my husband came home from work, he studied the drawings and said, "Oh, was Wayne drawing today?"

As you've gathered, my talent runs on par with a 2 year old. I *told* you I can't draw. At all. Not even a little.

But what a wonderful talent to have! I have to give props to artists, especially when designing a book cover. There is so much information and emotion that has to be conveyed, the cover is an integral part of the book. Most people pass judgement on the cover before they even pick it up to read the jacket. We have to love our artists.

I also have a couple of friends who are artists. Am I jealous?

Hmmm...(yes!)


No comments: