My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

In the Hot Seat! YA Author David D. Carroll

Hello pretties! Today I'm excited to have young adult author David D. Carroll sitting in the hot seat. David has penned a sweet young adult fantasy, Princess Nenji.

Princess Nenji

Nenji lives a quiet life, but with a longing for adventure. Barely considered royalty, her life is uprooted when the Dragon King sets out to eliminate the threat of the Lorac Family revealed by prophecy. Nenji has to learn quickly about magic, politics, and herself as she takes on the roles of young lady, witch, and queen.

And, he has a new book coming out soon, Dani and the Dragon.

Coming of age isn't easy for a homeless orphan girl. But when Mages, Kings, and Dragons all want to control her destiny, she must uncover her past to find her future.

Coming soon to an eReader near you!



Anyhoo, more about David's books later. Let's get him in the hot seat!


Dale: Tell us a little about Nenji and her adventures.   


     David: Nenji grew up on a farm, far from the large city of Lorac. Ever since the death of her father, five years prior, Nenji's mother has been drilling her on everything from calligraphy to proper balance, and how to use the right silverware. But being an adventurous 14 year old, she prefers spending time in the woods. 


     Several mages have attempted to meet with her, and she would love to meet with them, but her mother refuses. When a talking rooster arrives with an invitation to a clandestine meeting with a mage, how could she resist?

     Nenji finds herself thrust into a great adventure, meeting monsters, dragons, kings, and other talking animals. She must learn why the Dragon King is hunting the royal family, and more importantly, how to stop him. 

Dale: OK, now tell us something about Nenji that we *don't* know...something that's not in the book.

   David: Nenji isn't the typical fantasy adventure princess. She's a bit overweight, has no desire to take the throne, and still mourns the loss of her father.

Dale:  Where do you get your inspiration to write?

  
     David: The best inspiration comes from God, and I strive to seek Him out. Magic and fantasy adventures have always intrigued me, and I have written them from a young age. I have quite an imagination, and a gift for prose. These characters feel so alive for me, they almost wrote the novel themselves.

Dale: What's the first book you read that made you catch your breath?

     David: Terry Brooks: Magic Kingdom for Sale. Terry has a fantastic way of finding a new slant on the fantasy world. He makes his characters and his world come alive in my mind.

Dale: If you had a super-power, what would it be?
     David: If I could choose my super power, I would choose flight. That is why I gave it to Princess Nenji. To fly over the tops of the trees, or soar through the skies... As long as there isn't a dragon chasing me.

Dale: If you were an animal, what would it be...and why?

  
     David: A Dragon. I have been fascinated with dragons since I was very young. This is one of the fantastical creatures which spans the globe. There are cultures in every corner of the globe who have some form of dragon in their mythology. They are extremely powerful, often arrogant, and occasionally benevolent.

Dale: If your book was to become a movie...

a. What would the theme song be?

    David: I Believe I Could Fly by R. Kelly

b. Who would play Nenji?

    David: If it is made soon, Dakota Fanning would make a good Nenji. She has shown her range of acting skills includes both the cute and the vicious. She would need both to play the character right.

(Dale: I couldn't agree more!)

Dale: When you write, are you a plotter or a pantser?

  
     David: I haven't heard the term 'pantser' before, so I assume you mean fly by the seat of your pants. I do plot outlines, create rich characters to fill the roles necessary, and let the characters show me where changes in the plot are necessary.

(Dale: Yes, that's exactly what I mean!)

Dale: Where is your favorite place to write?

  
     David: At my desk, in a room with no interruptions, and just a little music.

Dale: Do you listen to music when you write? If so, what music do you listen to?

  
     David: Hahaha. I just answered that. To really get into the writing mood, I turn on They Might Be Giants on random play.

Dale: What creative process do you use to create your worlds?

   
     David: For Princess Nenji, I spent several years reading and studying how different books portray magic, how it is used, how it is explained, and how it is controlled. From there, I developed my own form of magic, drawing on elements from many others. Then I needed to add in a rich backstory with major events a few years ago, a few thousand years ago, and tens of thousands of years ago. Each major event plays a significant role in the shape of the world and the political climate my characters live in.

Dale: Is there a little of yourself in any of your characters? If so, who?

  
    David: There is a little bit of myself in every character I write. Otherwise, how could I understand them? We all have a dark side, and at times, mine is pitch black. I have long dreamed of flying, and I question authority when it doesn't make sense. Each of these things is expanded or exaggerated to become a major character trait in at least one character.

Dale:  If Nenji was to come to our world, today, what would her reaction be?

  
     David: She would be amazed by the level of technology, and even more amazed when she learns very few people in our world can control magic. 

Dale: Hot seat questions:

a. Beach or mountains?  Beach for short trips, mountains for long ones.
b. Summer or winter?  Summer, definitely. 
c. White or dark chocolate? Both, depending on mood.
d. Coffee or tea?  Root Beer
e. Favorite TV show?  Eureka, followed closely by Once Upon a Time
f. Favorite color? Green
g. Favorite food? Prime Rib
h. Cats or dogs? Both
i. What was the last thing you ate? Blueberry Cheesecake
j. Morning person or night owl? Usually Morning, sometimes both

David, I'm so glad you could sit in the hot seat today. It's been great getting to know more about you, and Nenji.

If you want to see more of David's works, and get your hands on Princess Nenji, hop on over to these links:

1 comment:

Silverware said...

I enjoyed your post. thank you for sharing your thoughts and time........